COLOURFULWORLD

Sunday 25 March 2018

2018 Sculpture by the sea - II

Following from yesterday's post, this is the next lot of sculptures at this year's Sculpture by the Sea in Cottesloe beach.

A couple of metal structures - the bottom left was created by Australian artist Harrie Fisher - "Transition", a mythical horse travelling between worlds, and won her the major prize of $50,000, the Rio Tinto Sculpture Award
The piece has been donated to the City of Busselton (south west of WA) for permanent public placement.
The other piece is called "Structured Cascade" by Jarrod Taylor.



"Layered Potential" by Elyssa Sykes-Smith, made with perspex, polycarbonate and stainless steel cable, shapes stretching from tree to tree in pastel colours looked beautiful with the sun streaming through it.

On the groyne stood this massive 5,5mt high brushed aluminium sculpture "The Elder" by Ron Gomboc (WA), represents an elder figure and someone younger and on the right is "Seed" by Sally Stoneman (WA) who was awarded the $10,000 Western Australian Sculptor Scholarship, for travel, study and advancement of the artist's career.


A very striking piece was a 13mt long red glider, made of aluminium, steel and polyester, called "Final approach" made by local artist Geoff Overheu.  If you have space in your garden it's for sale at $45,000!!

"Spirit" by April Pine, (English born, now living in Australia) with a life-size man with a dog on a lead, surrounded by a bevy of playful dogs, all made of powder-coated aluminium. 


"Feral" by WA artist Mikaela Castledine, portrays 15 cats in very cat like positions.
Tang Wei Hsu from Taiwan won the $5000 Andrea Stretton Memorial Invitation to exhibit at Sculpture by the Sea in Bondi later this year for his work titled "Jade Petals".


This lovely filigree work called "Inspired by Rosie" by Tania Spencer.







'The Place Where a Heart Could Stay" by Sang Sug Kim.

And last, but not least... 


At the northern end of the beach, "The Desert Island" a wonderful large semi-circle of mirrors with a timber back, by the Danish group Gjode & Partnere Arkitekter.
And that's me in the yellow flowery dress in front of the mirrors.

Hope you enjoyed all the big sculptures on the beach. It was a gorgeous sunny and warm day and after about 3 hours of walking around looking at all the sculptures, I came home tired but with a bronzed skin.

22 comments:

  1. My very clear favorite is "Inspired by Rosie" - awesome work.
    It´s great I get to see it through your blog(s), hope in 3-4 years to be there at the time again, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very "feminine" sculpture I feel. That would be nice to see them in person Iris, I find it's a fabulous outdoor gallery.

      Delete
  2. I like the jade petals one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very colourful series of sculptures. Thanks Adam.

      Delete
  3. Spirit was my favourite. Excellent shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William, those dogs have very life-like positions.

      Delete
  4. Há aqui algumas esculturas espectaculares de que gostei bastante.
    Um abraço e Boa Páscoa.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    Livros-Autografados

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada Francisco. Boa Pascoa para si tambem.

      Delete
  5. I really like some of them but others I can't understand how they could be winners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I know the feeling, I also thought there were works that deserved to win, but I have no idea how or how judges them.

      Delete
  6. All in all awesome work! I like the red glider & dogs & your shot of The Elder from that angle is super!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. Have a lovely Sunday.

      Delete
  7. All great works. I wish we had similar here. While I've seen the mirror, it is really cool. My favourite might be the man walking the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, the various dogs and the dog walker are nicely done.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I think so Marianne, I walked long enough all over the beach, lol.

      Delete
  9. Amazing sculptures, they are all very beautiful but I especially liked the "Jade petals".
    Gorgeous shots.
    Have a nice sunday
    Maria de
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada pela visita Maria. Um bom Domingo para si tambem.

      Delete
  10. I had hoped to get here before Earth Hour, but I got caught up in a project I am working on. I must be the worst judge in the world, because I wasn't fond of any of the winners. Some you showed with no names were far more to my liking and Ferrel was fantastic. Thanks for taking us with you to the beach for the show of these incredible sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you Elizabeth, some of the non-winners had nicer works. I also liked the dogs and cats, they were so life-like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colorful banners and the red plane. Some of the shapes are amazing and so creative and of course I liked the animals!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Sami
    That is always such fun to admire the variety of sculptures by the sea. Nice way to stroll.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.